Saturday, January 9, 2010

Home Made Lip Balm



So, I needed a project and decided to make little presents for my girlfriends. I made my own home made lip balm! It was so easy. Check it out:

The basic Recipe is 4oz essential oil to 1oz bee's wax. For my recipe I used:

1oz Grapeseed oil
1oz Coconut oil
1oz Calendula oil
1/2 oz St. John's Wort
1/2 oz Vitamin E
1/2 Vanilla Bean
1 tsp honey


I blended the grapeseed and coconut oils together in a mason jar. Then I split open the vanilla, scraped the seeds, and chopped into small pieces and put both seeds and chopped bean in the oil and let it sit overnight.


The next day:
In a double boiler run oil/vanilla mix through a sieve. (the small black specs won't get caught by the sieve but that's OK because when you rub a little on your lips, the specs enhance the smell and taste of the balm)
add the rest of the oils, the bee's wax, and honey to double boiler and wait until melted. Then pour into little jars! ( Makes 20 chapstick tubes, .15oz each. I put it larger jars which were about .6 oz each and it made 5 jars)


A cute decorating idea is use double-sided tape around the outside of the jar and stick some fun ribbon around the jar.




Buy Local
I bought all my ingredients at:
Purple Shutter Herbs • 7 West Canal St. • Winooski, VT 05404 • 888-865-HERB

No comments:

Post a Comment