Adapted from MarthaStewart.com: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/chocolate-buttercream-frosting?comments_page=1
16 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate chunks
- Place chocolate chunks in a heat safe bowl and place over a pot of simmering water. Whisk white chocolate melts, until smooth. Set chocolate aside, and keep pot of water simmering on stove.
- Place sugar and egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Set this over (but not touching) your pot of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar and egg mixture is heated and sugar is dissolved.
- Attach bowl to an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and continue whisking on med/high speed until cooled and stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- With the mixer running, add butter, one piece at a time, until completely incorporated. Continue whisking until a light, fluffy cream has formed. Stir in chocolate and vanilla until well combined.
- Frost! I used a small silicon spatula to frost an even layer over my cake which worked out perfect. You could definitely fill your piping bag and go to town. This is a really versatile frosting with great texture.