Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fantastic French Toast

This was another Valentine's Day treat Iwhipped up for my lovely boyfriend, Birdy. Once again I was perusing through allrecipes.com and found a recipe for some French Toast. Of course I altered it because It wouldn't be me if i didn't add a little personal flaire. But I always give credit where credit is due, so if you like you can find the original recipe here. Otherwise, read on...

 
Picture from my Mobile Phone


Batter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup half and half
1 pinch salt
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
6-8 slices Challah bread, cut about 1"thick

Optional Ingredients:
Grand Marnier
Irish Cream such at Bailey's or Carolyn's
Kahlua
Bananas and Pecan slices for topping
  1. In a dish, i used  a mid sized baking dish for some extra surface area, whisk all ingredients together until thoroughly combined
  2. Warm a griddle or a frying pan over medium heat for a few minutes until hot. Spray with PAM cooking spray. * remember to re-spray griddle in between slices *
  3. Saturate each slice in the batter and place on frying pan. Cook about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Serve hot.
  4. I topped mine with warmed maple syrup, fresh sliced strawberries, and whipped cream. For garnish sprinkle plate or serving dish with a little powdered sugar. 
This was, by far, the best French toast recipe I have used. The Challah bread added a nice touch because it is a sweet egg bread - very tasty! This would also make and excellent base for a bread pudding, or just sliced into a ramekin dish and topped with ice cream.

Let me know if you try it out
Send me any other delicious recipes you have! I'll try them out and post my reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment